Into Week 4 of the RW Beginner's Program

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So, today marked Week 4/Day 3 of the beginner running program I'm doing.  There's a link to it below (in my ranting post-lol) but just in case you want to check it out I've added the link above as well (just click on the title of my blog-post) :-)


Also, as I wrote in my previous (ranting) post - I did take to the open road for today's run.  I noticed an immediate difference even just during my warm-up walking!  Having dabbled with running in the past I knew there was a difference (at least to me) between treadmill running (TM) & pounding the pavement (PTP) but ... it's been a while.

Today I had to not only make up my run/walk but also my 30 minute walk from yesterday so as I've done before - I just tack on 15 minutes of walking before the walk/run & 15 minutes after.  Although, it sucks that I'm missing days here & there & re-arranging my schedule to compensate for it .. it's actually quite nice because then I get a nice long warm-up & cool-down!

Ok, so back to how it went.  The first thing I noticed was that my ankles were getting sore, then my back started getting achy.  I thought to myself, no biggie - you expected this to be different (especially after 3 weeks of TM running), so I continued putting one foot in front of the other & after my nice long warm-up I proceeded to take to running.

Now, as I explained (or complained-however you want to read it-lol) in my previous post I've been struggling with keeping to my schedule.  Today, per the schedule, was to be my Run 9/Walk 1-3x's.  I missed Monday's Run 8/Walk so I had tossed it around in my head about whether or not to stick to the schedule or to do Monday's run.  Technically, rather than jumping from a Run 6/Walk to a Run 8/Walk, I'd be jumping to a Run 9/Walk (3 more minutes running - which I did).  I decided that I would push myself, yet be conscious of my body at the same time so that if I felt as though it was too much - I could cut my run cycle short by a minute & do the Run 8 instead.

I ended up pulling off the Run 9/Walk though!  It was HARD - no kidding, & I ended up walking 2 minutes between runs instead of 1 & for the last cycle - I walked 3 minutes prior to the final 9 minute run.

It's funny though, because I'm so used to knowing how fast I'm going (thanks to the TM), I kept thinking to myself - how fast am I running?  Am I even running?  Am I just jogging?  Are my feet even moving?  That then progressed on to:  Ok, getting a cramp so I'm definitely not just walking .... Ouch, that cramp hurts ... Be tough, you want to be a runner right?  Runner's deal with pain-deal with it!  Ok, breath .. keep running .... it's going away ... I can do this!!  God, I must look funny to people driving by ...

Needless to say, as I said - I pulled it off & really enjoyed my 15 minute cool-down!  The sense of accomplishment I feel each time is more than enough to keep my doing it.  The great thing is that since I knew the mileage for the road I was on - I know that I did at least 4 miles today!  The most I've done yet.  Now, granted that includes walking but it shows me that I wasn't running as slow as I thought I was!  It also serves as a reminder that my focus needn't be on speed but on completing my runs.

All in all - today was a great day.  A HARD-ASS-run definitely, but a successful run & that is worth it every time!



Oh, two more things:

1.  I'm tracking my running/walking progress so if you scroll down to the bottom of my blog, you can see what I've done so far this year.  Thanks to today - I broke 30 this month!  Once I complete the Beginner's Program I will only be tracking running (of course). &

2.  Since I started I've been using my spreadsheet/schedule to put notes about each days running & today I looked back at my week 1 & week 2 notes.  It was so neat to see how I've progressed!  I had a hard time going from Run 1/Walk 2 to Run 2/Walk 1 & now (of course) it'd be a breeze to just Run 2/Walk 1!  I found it to be very inspiring :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP