Exercising & the runner's high

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It's been a while since I've gotten off my lazy butt & truly exercised.  Well, until this past weekend anyway.

I know the stigma associated with making a "New Year's Resolution" ... blah, blah, blah ... however I've been putting it off & putting it off so I figured it was the perfect time.

Without delay, immediately on New Year's Day I went in search of the perfect routine to get started.  I used to be a Certified Personal Trainer so I know where my weak areas lie & I know what I need in order to stick with a program.  Taking that into consideration, I went with a Yoga/Weights combination workout & to kick my cardiovascular system into gear, as well as to maintain health, I also added a beginner's running program.

I also put them both into a spreadsheet so I can monitor my progress & be held accountable for my actions (or lack there of should I miss a day).  This is key (for me anyway).  I need to be able to map out my plans & also be able to watch my progress.  This monitoring for me = motivation.  Granted, I don't have to answer to anyone but myself ... but, it's still there in black & white (well, & green & blue because I used MS Excel & made it all puuurrrty :-)).



Anywho, thus far it has been terrific.  I love that I've worked Yoga into my routine & that weights are a part of it.  I feel wonderful afterwards & I know I'm doing something good for both my mind & my body.  The other terrific aspect about yoga is the versatility.  I can add & deduct poses & even completely change it around of I want to.  I tend to get bored easily when working out (if I do the same routine for a while) so change is imperative!

I chose the beginner's running program because quite frankly I've really hated running in the past.  Admittedly, I far too often started out too gung-ho & ended up getting shin splints & being out of breath & frustrated.  This time, I'm doing it right.  Also being a beginner's program it includes a lot of change to help you progress in running skills.  The program also involves walking which bores me but it's good because it forces me to slow down & gives me a chance to "rest" while also getting exercise.

Since starting my new routine I've also been sleeping A LOT better & I'm loving it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP